Monday 25 March 2013

First Wader For New Wetland!!

Sunday 24th March 2011

Compton Park Wetlands: 18:15 to 18:50 freezing conditions after heavy snow, stiff Easterlies.

I was on my way to Compton for a quick shopping trip, cutting through the valley for peace and scenery on the way.

As I marched along the bank by the fenced off new wetlands area alongside the birch coppice, I noticed a small, quite streamlined, short-billed,stiff-winged bird heading straight towards me from the main pool.

As it approched the head pattern became clear, as did the lack of any white in its wing - Little Ringed Plover!!!!!

The bird eventually took notice of my prescence and circled back over the waterlogged ground just East of the wetland, travelling over the tennis courts, before settling, to my surprise on the bank behind me. It was obviously attracted to the muddy ground that had been stirred up by walkers.

I turned and slowly advanced towards where the bird was picking, and was amazed to be able to get to within 20 feet of it before it started to scurry off. This brought back fond memories of my days exploring the old open-cast mining mounds at Norton Canes when I was young. The only difference was the snow!!!!

This is a Summer visitor to Britain, and what a shock it must have had when it hit our shores!!!!

I watched the bird till dusk as it moved frequently between the bank, the puddles and the pool itself. A most intimate and prolonged encounter with an enchanting little wader. Thanks for this has to go to The Wildlife Trust - it was their well produced objections and proposals, with the support of local enthusiasts that brought the wetland to our valley. Given the weather conditions, this little migrant was no doubt very tired and hungry. Areas such as has been created at Compton Park provide vital stop-off points for our long-distance travelling troop of birds.

The fact that this new addition to our local habitats lies adjacent to the line of the valley, offers opportunities to see other exciting wetland birds, as they use the corridor to navigate, albeit that they will have so much more disturbance, once the security fencing is removed. Still, an early morning or late evening encounter with such species, while they refuel is still much much better than nothing!!!!

P.S: I visited at 05:50 this morning to try and get pictures, but to my disappointment, the Plover had already moved on. Also there is a link on the blog to the representation made by the Wildlife Trust, in response to the proposed development of Compton Park in 2011.

No comments: