Sunday 13 January 2013

Foot It

I have set myself a target of recording 79 species in Smestow Valley and beyond during January. Normally, this would be quite straightforward, but as its name suggests the Foot It challenge involves birding only on foot i.e. no means of transportation for any part of birding jouneys from and back to home http://birdingbyfoot.blogspot.co.uk/

Yesterday, I set off from home at about 12.45 on the sixth session of my challenge. Walking along the canal towpaths - Wolverhampton Locks, Staffs & Worcs and Shropshire Union - I soon reached Pendeford with little more than four Siskins at Autherley Junction to show for my efforts. However, within a matter of metres along the Shropshire Union Cnal through Pendeford I saw pair of Ravens, a mixed flock of 70+ Goldfinch, Lesser Redpoll and Siskin, and a Chiffchaff in a Bramble clump.

A Kingfisher was perched along the River Penk by Pendeford Mill Nature Reserve, whilst a couple of Buzzards and a GS Woodpecker were in Pendeford Wood.

This morning, in Newbridge Wood there were two Nuthatch, single GS Woodpecker, Treecreeper, Coal Tit and Goldcrest, and three Siskin flew over.

So far I have seen 65 species i.e. 82% of my target.

No comments: