Wednesday 5 December 2012


wed  5/12/12   Cold and icy after o/night rain.     Early morning



Both Wren & Robin were singing as I arrived at Meadow View bridge at first light,I walked the canal in the dim light and just about made out a Coot but no Little Grebe as I reached Meccano bridge. A steady walk to compton lock was uneventful ( no Kingfisher by Smestow Brook behind the prefabs ) just 1 Little Grebe by the lock.
Making my way to the Barleyfield I passed another singing Wren on the old rail track nr Aspine Way ( this was the last singing bird of the day ). A Lesser Redpoll flew over and landed briefly on trees in gardens at the top of Barleyfield where 4 or 5 Greenfinch were feeding. To the west 12 Redwing headed south west over Tettenhall Ridge. I came across a party of 30+ Goldfinch feeding in Alders at the bottom of Barleyfield these soon lifted and flew towards more Alders on the edge of Compton playing field,they were joined by 20+ Chaffinch,whilst watching Eddys Alders I found at least 3 Siskin including 1♂ with the Goldfinch.
                Nothing new was to be found on Barleyfield so I headed back to Compton Lock to walk the canal home.Checking the Smestow behind the prefabs I found a Kingfisher perched a little way south of the bridge.Continuing along the canal there were 3 Little Grebe near Meccano bridge and another 2 by Newbridge tennis club.Met Ian here and he put me onto a Coal Tit in the Paddock.






No comments: